Expert Daily Fantasy Golf Picks for the American Express PGA Tour Event
The Art of Daily Fantasy Golf Picks: Tips and Tricks
Daily fantasy golf is a great way to add an extra layer of excitement to your favorite sport. However, picking the right golfers to make up your lineup can be challenging, especially if you’re new to the game. Here are some tips and tricks to help you make winning daily fantasy golf picks.
- Do Your Research: To increase your chances of winning, you need to do some research on the golfers you’re considering. Check out their recent performances, course statistics, and any other relevant data. Look for golfers who have a history of performing well on the course or who are in good form leading up to the tournament.
Course layout matters for fantasy golf picks. Some golfers thrive on specific types of courses. For instance, accuracy-focused players do well on tight fairways and small greens.
- Don’t Ignore the Weather: The weather can have a significant impact on a golfer’s performance, so it’s important to keep an eye on the forecast when making your picks. If the conditions are expected to be windy or rainy, look for golfers who are comfortable playing in those types of conditions.
The PGA Tour is back on the mainland for the American Express after two events in Hawaii. Si Woo Kim, a four-time PGA Tour winner, triumphed in 2021. The tournament will occur across three courses: PGA West Stadium, PGA West Nicklaus, and La Quinta. The cut will leave the top 65 and ties for the final round at Stadium Course. Scoring low is vital, as past winners shot at least 20 under par.
Hudson Swafford won the 2022 American Express. Phil Mickelson, Bill Haas, and Arnold Palmer are other multi-winners. This weekend features top golfers like Rahm, Cantlay, Scheffler, Zalatoris, and Schauffele, with Rahm as a prior winner.
We will now look at the form of the last five champions, to see if we can locate some vital links to begin finding our fantasy golf picks this week.
2022 Hudson Swafford – 265 – Form 48/10/CUT/35
2021 Si Woo Kim – 265 – Form 25/34/CUT/17
2020 Andrew Landry – 262 – Form CUT/CUT/CUT/CUT
2019 Adam Long – 262 – Form CUT/CUT/CUT/63
2018 Jon Rahm – 266 – Form 2/36/7/5
The Stadium Course, which will be played once in the Thursday-Saturday rotation and once again on Sunday for all players who make the cut, is the most difficult of the three. The Pete Dye design pays homage to TPC Sawgrass and includes some challenging water hazards. This week, avoiding the water on the Stadium Course will be critical as the three other courses will provide little opposition. Its finest defense is in its par-3s, which rank first, second, and fourth in scoring difficulty. On Sundays, they’ve been decisive in crowning a champion. The Stadium Course has ten holes with a scoring average less than par. The historical average score is -1.33.
La Quinta was the simplest of the three courses again last year, and it was the most straightforward par 72 utilized on the PGA Tour for four seasons in a row between 2017 and 2020. When amateurs play, the setups are intentionally less demanding than on the PGA Tour, and very low scoring is the norm. Bermuda greens are often set at roughly 11 on the stimpmeter, with minimal rough.
The lineup features nine of the world’s Top 20 players: Cameron Young, Jon Rahm, Patrick Cantlay, Sam Burns, Scottie Scheffler, Sungjae Im, Tom Kim, Tony Finau, and Will Zalatoris. Xander Schauffele withdrew from the Tournament of Champions but will still compete here. Brian Harman, Chad Ramey, JT Poston, Ryan Brehm, Sungjae Im, and Tom Kim are all back for the third week running. Adam Hadwin, Danny Willett, Davis Riley, Dean Burmester, Erik Van Rooyen, Garrick Higgo, Jason Day, Joel Dahmen, Justin Rose, Matthew NeSmith, Ricky Fowler, Sebastian Munoz, Taylor Pendrith, and Thomas Detry, on the other hand, are all making their PGA Tour debuts in 2023.
These are the key stats that we believe will be the most important this week.
Fantastic Five – As previously mentioned, the par five holes on these courses generally offer the best scoring opportunities and will need to be taken advantage of this week.
Par Five Scoring Average
- Patrick Cantlay
- Matt Fitzpatrick
- Jon Rahm
- Keita Nakajima
- Justin Thomas
A Little Birdie Told Us – This tournament is a birdie fest; there is no doubt about that. Players that make birdies regularly will do well here.
- Patrick Cantlay
- Jon Rahm
- Tony Finau
- Max Homa
- Cameron Young
Putting Perfection – This competition is regularly called a putting contest, and it’s usually won by the player who performs best with the blade.
- Brian Gay
- Travis Vick
- Harry Hall
- Maverick McNealy
- Patrick Cantlay
Four More – Although most people always look at the par-five scoring statistics when analyzing this event, par-four scoring is the common denominator among past winners. For example, Swafford came second in par four scoring last year, Landry came first when he won, and Long also came second.
Par Four Scoring Average
- Patrick Cantlay
- Jon Rahm
- Brian Harman
- Xander Schauffele
- Thomas Detry
Another vital stat is that 14 of the last 15 winners played at least once leading into this event.
Fantasy Golf Picks: Draft Selections
Here are our DFS picks for this week’s competition.
Essential Players – These golfers are worth breaking the bank for.
Patrick Cantlay – Everything Cantley seems to touch turns to gold, and it’s hard to ignore his credentials here. He has played twice already this season and came runner-up at the first time of asking at the Shriners Children’s Open. Last season he finished with 12 top-ten finishes and picked up a couple of wins on Tour along the way. He placed second here two years ago, and we believe he can go one step further this year and pick up the trophy.
Jon Rahm – Jon Rahm stands out as a favorite. He’s in excellent form, with top-eight finishes in all three recent tournaments, including a win at the Sentry Tournament of Champions. Rahm is a past event winner and previously placed second at the Sentry before winning here.
Middle Order – These players cost slightly less than the essential players above but have every chance of pushing for a top-ten spot and beyond.
Brian Harman – Brian Harman has arguably been the most consistent golfer on Tour this season, making him a must-have DFS player. He has yet to miss the cut and has three top-eight finishes, including two runners-up placings. He finished eight here two years ago and third last year. If he continues that trajectory, combined with his fine form, h3 could easily walk away with the title this week.
Outsiders – These guys won’t cost you much and can make up any lineup, especially on a budget.
Harry Hall – The Englishman has yet to break into the top ten this season, but don’t let that deter you; look at Andrew Landry’s form when he won this event. Hall played some steady golf last week and produced four sub-70 rounds, and although he is one of the less experienced in this field, he has played this event once before. It’s worth noting he is also deadly with the putter. If he can create some decent scoring opportunities, he could be involved come Sunday.
Daily Fantasy Golf Picks: Golfers to Watch
When making your daily fantasy golf picks, it’s important to look for golfers who are in good form and have a history of performing well on the course. Here are a few golfers to consider for your next daily fantasy golf lineup.
- Dustin Johnson: Dustin Johnson is one of the best golfers in the world and is always a strong pick for daily fantasy golf. He’s a long-hitter who excels at accuracy and has a history of performing well on a variety of courses.
- Justin Thomas: Justin Thomas is another top-ranked golfer who is a consistent performer on the course. He’s known for his accuracy and has a strong short game, making him a solid pick for daily fantasy golf.
- Bryson DeChambeau: Bryson DeChambeau is a powerful hitter who can drive the ball long distances. He’s known for his unorthodox approach to the game and has been making waves on the professional circuit in recent years.
- Jon Rahm: Jon Rahm is a rising star in the world of golf and has already made a name for himself as one of the best golfers on the PGA Tour. He’s known for his strong ball-striking abilities and has a history of performing well on a variety of courses. Overall, making winning daily fantasy golf picks requires a combination of research, strategy, and a little bit of luck. By following these tips and keeping an eye on the performance of top golfers, you can increase your chances of success and have a great time playing daily fantasy golf.
September 28, 2023
September 26, 2023
September 22, 2023